Premier Dalton Tagelagi announced his Cabinet this afternoon and for the first time there are two female ministers in Cabinet. Premier Tagelagi has retained his ministers Crossley Tatui and Esa Mona Sharon Ainuu and has appointed common roll member Sonya Talagi to his Cabinet.
A ceremony was held this afternoon inside the Fono Ekepule Chambers where the Speaker Hima Douglas administered the oath for the three Ministers.
There is no oath for the Members Assisting the Minister (MAM) but the four MAMs were acknowledged by the Speaker in their roles as prescribed in the Civil List Act.
Premier Dalton Tagelagi holds the largest number of portfolios and will be assisted by Common Roll member and member assisting the minister Sinahemana Hekau. He is responsible for the following port folios
Office of the Secretary for Government and National Security
• Foreign Affairs (External, Niue High Commission, Regional and International Relations)
• Premier and Cabinet Department
• Niue Legislative Assembly
• Crown Law and Regulatory Authority
• Police and Disaster Management
• Public Enterprises (Niue Broadcasting Corporation, Telecom Niue Limited, Bulk Fuel, Tourism Authority, Niue Development Bank, Niue Philatelic and Numismatic Corporation (Philatelic and Numismatic, Bond Store, Housing, Vaiea Farm)
• Climate Change
• Niue Trust Fund, Niue Superannuation Fund, National Disaster Relief Fund
• Niue Ko Kaina
Minister Crossley Tatui retains his port folios as the minister of Infrastructure and the minister for Finance. Tatui is also now responsible for the Public Service Commission. Minister Tatui is will be assisted by MAM Mr. Ricky Muiaki Makani.
• Transport (Civil Aviation, Outside Services, Maritime, Heavy Plant, Fire and Rescue)
• Utilities Control (Building/Roads/Water/Electrical, Design and Engineering)
• Civil, Quarry and Roads Development
• Information, Communication and Technology
• Niue Power and Energy Authority
• Water Authority
• Ministry of Finance and Planning (Statistics, Immigration, Taxation Economics and Trade
Project Management Coordination Unit, Aid Coordination)
• Customs and Revenue
• Asset Management
• PACER Plus
• Private Sector
• Niue Public Service Commission
• Whole of Government Reform
Minister Esa Mona Ainuu retains the portfolio of natural resources, responsible for Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Met Services and Environment . Minister Ainuu will be assisted by MAM Mr. Emani Fakaotimana Lui. Minister Ainuu is responsible for the following port folios
• Agriculture, Fisheries, Forestry, (Biosecurity, crops and research, Food Security)
• Meteorological Services
• Environment (Waste Management, Conservation, Invasive Species)
New Minister Sonya Talagi will be responsible for the Ministry of Social Services with Justice, Lands and Surveys and Community Services, Taoga Niue, Health and Education. Minister Talagi is also responsible for the 50th Constitution Commemorations and Sports Development. Minister Talagi will be assisted by MAM Mrs. Florence Maureen Melekitama.
• Justice, Lands and Court (Land Management, Pensions & Welfare, Religion, Women, Youth,and Civil Society)
• Taoga Niue (Museum, Archives, Arts, Niue Language, Culture and Heritage)
• Local Government and Village Development
• 50 years (NZ and Niue Special Relationship Commemoration)
• Sports Development
This is the first time in the history of the Niue government that there are an equal number of male and female members in Cabinet. Three members of this Tagelagi Cabinet are brand new MPs, all Common Roll members elected last Saturday.
The State Opening of the 18th Fono Ekepule will take place on Monday 15th May next week, starting at 9.30am.
Premier Dalton Tagelagi is expected to deliver his national address to the nation and the new members will be given the opportunity to deliver their maiden speeches.