A 25-year-old man requiring urgent medical care was on a medivac flight to New Zealand this afternoon.
The Air Ambulance landed at midday to take the critically ill young man who was accompanied by his parents.
It’s understood the 25-year-old was injured during the second game of the Niue Rugby League test series on Saturday last week.
He underwent emergency surgery over the weekend but his condition hadn’t improved and it was decided to send for a medical evacuation.
The young man’s injuries on the field have raised questions about the game of Rugby league on the island with allegations of deliberate hard tackles during the first two games between Tafiti and Motu.
BCN news reached out to the President of Niue Rugby League Zack Smith who said that it’s an unfortunate injury and their thoughts are foremost with their player and his family at this time.
“It’s unfortunate that our player got injured but we were lucky we had a doctor and medics at the game. My committee, myself, and both teams wish him a safe trip and really hope and pray that he recovers from this”
Zach Smith says it’s never anyone’s intention when playing contact sports like rugby league to deliberately injure another player, but the nature of the game is such that it’s a tough game.
The first game of the three-test series in October was a draw between the Tafiti and Motu but the northerners Motu team took out the second test last Saturday 20 to 18 against the southerners Tafiti team.