The largest women’s organisation on the island is the FCW or the Fellowship of Christian Women and on Saturday last week, they celebrated their 75th anniversary as an organisation.
The organisation was originally called the Lipine Sea until 1946 when they changed to Fellowship of Christian Women – Fakapotopotoaga he tau Fifine Kerisiano Niue.
To mark the occasion of 75 years, the FCW recognised the contribution of their longest-serving members, those over 80 years old.
Pictured are Mrs Margaret Folau, Mrs Alitohemana Talagi and Mrs Taleni Soloma. Photo credit Mrs Laloifi Salatielu
There were 26 of them altogether, six of these ladies are currently overseas. They are listed in order of their village FCW membership below;
Alofi: Mrs Aggie Valiana, Mrs Linapa Strickland
Makefu: Mrs Salome Guest, Mrs Leki Palemia, Mrs Iva Barry (NZ)
Tuapa: Mrs Alitohemana Talagi, Mrs Mata Okesene, Mrs Leone Matagineto
Namukulu: Mrs Mokavesi Lipitoa
Hikutavake: Mrs Lalomanogi Togiakona
Mutalau: Mrs Lapasi Paka, Mrs Marry Grace Sioneholo (NZ)
Liku: Mrs Mokalena Napota, Mrs Taleni Soloma, Mrs Tulisa Thompson
Hakupu: Mrs Margaret Folau
Vaiea: Mrs Mokahemotu Talaiti
Avatale: Mrs Epeta Uota, Mrs Mabel Lino, Mrs Mafa Laufoli, Mrs Epenesa Vakanofiti (NZ)
Tamautoga: Mrs Fakahula Funaki, Mrs Sinala Halagigie, Mrs Asenati Kauie (NZ), Mrs Eita Vilisoni (NZ), Mrs Tumaitugi Makani (NZ)
The national gathering started with the church service attended by Premier Hon. Dalton Tagelagi and Minister Hon. Esa Mona Ainuu and Lady Fifita Talagi.
The service was led by FCW president Rev. Mautofiga Diamond Tauevihi.
After the service, the ladies celebrated together with lunch and performances from each of the village FCW groups.